Healthy Pantry Program Mission Statement
A commitment to increase the capacity, variety, and distribution of healthy foods, BVFB’s “Foods to Encourage” (F2E), by implementing nudges or strategies recommended by BVFB’s Nutrition Education Team that will help make the healthy choice the easy choice for clients.
What are Foods to Encourage (F2E)?
- Fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables
- low-sodium canned vegetables
- canned fruits in light syrup or 100% juice
- 100% whole grains
- Protein foods, such as lean meats, beans, eggs, nuts/seeds
- Low-fat dairy products
What are Nudges?
“Nudges” are passive strategies to encourage healthy food choices at Client Choice food pantries. Client Choice Pantries are those at which clients can choose the type and amount of food they receive, as opposed to receiving a pre-prepared box of food.
Nudges use targeted techniques, such organizing shelving at a food pantry to display healthier foods at eye level, to encourage people to choose those foods. Some other nudges that we have implemented are:
- Colorful signage to encourage consumption of produce and whole grains
- Cooking demonstrations to guide consumers on how to prepare healthy food
- Updating the pantry environment through the use of produce displays and shelving, and re-organizing pantry layout
Benefits of Joining the Project
- Nutritional signage, food demonstrations, and resources for your pantry at no cost.
- The chance to have more of a positive influence on your clients’ nutritional health!
Contact us for more information on how to implement nudges at your pantry!