Here are some ideas for a first change you can make toward healthier eating in the new year:
1. Eat breakfast. Try to incorporate healthy, convenient foods like high-fiber cereal, fat-free or low-fat yogurt, and fruit. You want your breakfast to be low in sugar but high in other nutrients that will keep you full like fiber and protein.
2. Switch from drinking regular soda to water. You can flavor your water with slices of fresh fruit or use no calorie water flavorings.
3. Switch your bread from white to whole grain. Look for those breads containing 3 grams of fiber or more per slice.
4. Switch from regular pasta to whole grain pasta. You may need to cook whole wheat pasta a little bit longer to soften it up.
5. Switch from whole milk or 2% milk to 1% or skim milk.
6. Aim to drink more water. Add one or two extra glasses of water per day. Drinking more water throughout the day may curb your appetite and keep you from drinking beverages that are high in sugar.
Baked Lentils Casserole
Makes: 5 servings
Total Cost: $3.40
Serving Cost: $0.68
1 cup lentils (rinsed)
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 can tomatoes
2 carrot (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1. Combine lentils, water, seasonings, onion, and tomatoes.
2. Place in 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Cover tightly with lid or foil.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and add carrots. Stir.
6. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer.
7. Remove cover and sprinkle cheese on top.
8. Bake, uncovered 5 minutes, until cheese melts.